Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that affects the colon, rectum and often causes ulcers. And symptoms can be debilitating. However, those who adopt the ulcerative colitis diet might be able to reverse ulcerative colitis and its symptoms.Despite extensive research, ulcerative colitis causes are unknown.There are, however, possible factors that contribute to ulcerative colitis causes.
In addition to treatment such as medication, those who suffer from UC can incorporate diet changes to help manage ulcerative colitis symptoms.
Here are 5 types of vitamins and foods to consume on the ulcerative colitis diet:
1. Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Studies have found that an omega-3 fatty acid known as EPA has the power to fight inflammation. It blocks certain chemicals in your body called leukotrienes. Be sure to include omega 3 fatty acids in your ulcerative colitis diet.
2. Probiotics: Probiotics line the intestinal tract and prevent bacteria from triggering an immune response. Furthermore, probiotics enhance mucus production. This protects the body from invasive bacteria.Try adding foods high in probiotics such as kimchee or sauerkraut to your ulcerative colitis diet.
3. Iron-Rich Foods: Anemia is one of the major symptoms of UC. It occurs when the body doesn’t have enough healthy red blood cells. It can result in bleeding ulcers and bloody diarrhea. To fight these symptoms, you need boost your iron levels.Try incorporating such iron-rich foods as spirulina, spinach and dark chocolate into your diet.
4. Folate-Rich Foods: Folate is a crucial vitamin for people with UC, as it helps the body make new cells. Furthermore, folate may even reduce the risk of cancer in patients with chronic ulcerative colitis.Such foods as spinach, asparagus and collard greens make great folate-rich additions to your ulcerative colitis diet.
5. Turmeric: In some cases, UC can lead to colon cancer.Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and has even been shown to be effective as a cancer preventative measure, including colon cancer.Try adding turmeric to tea, smoothies, or sprinkle it on your salad.
Of course, it’s not enough to just add foods to your diet to help reverse ulcerative colitis symptoms.
There is also an extensive list of foods people with this disease should avoid. This includes beverages such as alcohol, caffeine, carbonated drinks. It also includes dairy products. You should also avoid seeds, meat, crunchy nut butters, popcorn, sorbitol, refined sugar, and spicy foods. And if you can, avoid dried foods, such as beans, peas, legumes, and fruits.If raw fruits and vegetables cause issues, try steaming them. This will make them easier for you to digest.A proper diet can help to be an effective ulcerative colitis treatment. While ulcerative colitis causes might be unknown, eating the right foods and avoiding the wrong can help reverse ulcerative colitis and its symptoms.